Reporting of accidents and injuries in the workplace (RIDDOR)

The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations (1995) (RIDDOR) highlight the legal duty of employers, the self-employed, or those in control of work premises to report and record some accidents at work by the quickest means possible. Employers must report any work-related deaths, injuries, cases of disease, or near misses involving employees to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), wherever they are working.

From today (12 September 2011) organisations now have to notify the HSE of any injuries and incidents reportable under RIDDOR via the HSE website. Employers who are unsure whether an accident is RIDDOR reportable in the first place can find more information on the ‘What must I report?’ section of the HSE website. The website provides seven new forms, one of which should be completed (see below). It will be submitted directly to the RIDDOR database and employers will receive a copy for their records:

  • Report of an injury.
  • Report of a dangerous occurrence.
  • Report of an injury offshore.
  • Report of a dangerous occurrence offshore.
  • Report of a case of disease.
  • Report of flammable gas incident.
  • Report of a dangerous gas fitting.

All incidents can be reported online, however, a telephone service [Incident Contact Centre – 0845 300 99 23] will remain for reporting fatal and major injuries only (Monday to Friday, 8.30 am to 5 pm).

The ‘Infoline’ telephone service, which currently provides a basic information service to callers, will end on 30 September 2011. Businesses and members of the public seeking information and official guidance on health and safety can use the knowledge bank on the HSE website.

For most businesses, a reportable accident, dangerous occurrence, or case of disease is a comparatively rare event. However, it is vital that they are reported quickly in order for risks to be assessed. For more information on reducing injuries and ill health in the workplace, call the free Health for Work Adviceline ( on 0800 0 77 88 44.

This entry was posted in Tips & Ideas and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.